Welcome to the Therapeutic Botox Centre. We specialize in the treatment of excessive sweating of the underarms, feet and hands. This is known as focal hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) is a medical condition which can be described as sweating in excess of what is normal to cool the body. The most common areas affected are the underarms, hands, feet, groin and head. Hyperhidrosis can have a serious impact on self-confidence, personal relationships and even career success. Although this condition is treatable, many patients are too embarrassed to consult a physician and consequently suffer in silence. Today’s treatments offer hope. Innovative non-surgical approaches now allow you to specifically treat the affected area painlessly and easily.
There are two types of Hyperhidrosis:
- Focal Hyperhidrosis or Primary Hyperhidrosis affects local areas such as the underarms, palms, feet and face. A malfunction within the sympathetic nervous system causes an over-stimulation of the nerve to release a chemical called acetylcholine which over-activates the ecrine gland (sweat gland) to produce more sweat. Focal Hyperhidrosis is the type treated by Dr. Copeland at the Durham Sweat Clinic.
- Generalized Hyperhidrosis or Secondary Hyperhidrosis usually affects the entire body. It is caused by other conditions such as menopause, metabolic disorders, neurological disorders, infections, etc. This type of hyperhidrosis requires further medical evaluation, diagnosis and specific cause related treatment. This is best evaluated by your Primary or Family Physician.
There is no single right way to treat hyperhidrosis. Treatments range from topical preparations to surgery and depend on how severe your hyperhidrosis is, where it occurs and how bothersome it is.
- Topical antiperspirant treatments containing aluminum chloride can help control mild forms of sweating. Higher strength topical formulations can also be used, but sometimes cause skin irritation.
- Iontophoresis is a process where low intensity electrical current is delivered to the hands or feet when placed in a tray of water connected to an electrical device. Treatments are approximately thirty minutes and required several times a week.
- Oral medications, mostly used to treat the underlying conditions causing general hyperhidrosis, will dry all areas of the body (such as eyes and mouth) and sometimes have other side effects.
- Surgical treatment, endoscopic sympathectomy, ablates or clips the nerve that stimulates the sweat glands in the hands and underarms. A large percentage of patients experience side effects such as compensatory sweating of other body areas, often more severe than the original problem.
- BOTOX® injections have been shown to reduces sweating of the affected area by 80-95%. This relatively minor procedure, the only one offered at the Durham Sweat Clinic, is performed by Dr. Copeland. He initially performs a sweat test to identify the exact area of sweating and then carefully administers minute injections of BOTOX® to the specific area of concern. Treatment is relatively painless, although, additional measures are taken to minimize discomfort for hands.
What are the costs related to the treatment of Hyperhidrosis? Is the procedure covered by Drug Plans?
The initial consultation is covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Plan so you will need to bring your Health Card. Most private drug plans cover the cost of medication (the BOTOX®) which represents about 80% of the total cost. An additional fee is charged for the injection procedure, physician time, and supplies and varies according to area as follows: Underarms – $200; Hands, Feet, or Forehead/Scalp – $250. This is generally not covered by private drug plans.
Book your consultation
To book a consultation with Dr. Copeland call the Therapeutic Botox Centre at 905-666-1328. It is not necessary to have a referral for this treatment. However your family doctor may also refer you to our clinic. Simply print the referral form below, have it filled out by your family physician and faxed to our office. 905 674 5966